Government Medical College
The first medical college in Kerala, established in 1950, Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram, is a pioneer institution in multi-specialty teaching, research and treatment. It is set in an area of 185 acres of land and has six hospitals attached to it. The total bed strength of the hospital is about 3000, admitting nearly 80,000 patients a year and providing OP consultation for over 75,00,000.
Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
The astronomical future of Kerala shot up with the launching of a rocket from Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station in 1962. Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), located at Thumba is the hub of Kerala’s rocket and satellite launching missions. VSSC is one of the main Research and Development establishments of ISRO.
The Centre for Development Studies (CDS)
An autonomous institution which promotes research, teaching and training in disciplines relevant to social development, the Centre for Development Studies (CDS) was established in 1970. CDS is regarded as one of the foremost development economics research centres in India. With a faculty of 26, the institution deals with themes like agriculture and national resources, gender, migration, population and health and education.
Centre for Earth Science Studies (CESS)
A centre of Excellence in Earth Sciences instituted by the Government of Kerala in 1978, Centre for Earth Science Studies (CESS) is an autonomous Research Centre to promote and establish modern scientific and technological research and development studies in earth sciences. CESS pursues multidisciplinary approach in problems related to land, sea and atmosphere.
Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB)
Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB) is an autonomous institution functioning under the Science, Technology and Environment Department of the Government of Kerala. Founded in 1994, this centre of excellence boosts development-oriented studies and research on modern biology and bio-technology. The centre aims at carrying out, aiding, promoting, guiding, co-ordinating advanced research in the areas of bio-technology, molecular biology, bioinformatics and related interdisciplinary areas of physical sciences.
Tropical Botanical Garden and Research Institute (TBGRI)
Tropical Botanical Garden and Research Institute (TBGRI) is an autonomous institution founded by the Government of Kerala in 1979. the centre undertakes research projects in the areas of biotechnology and Taxonomy. TBGRI is also concerned with surveying the economic plant wealth of Kerala, to conserve, preserve, and sustainably utilize the same. A rich garden with medicinal, ornamental, and other important plants of economic or aesthetic importance is also part of TBGRI. The institute is located at Palode, a village in the suburbs of Thiruvananthapuram city.
Regional Cancer Centre (RCC)
The Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) was established in 1981 by the Government of Kerala and the Government of India. Now, it has become one of a very few hospitals which provides state-of-the-art facilities for cancer diagnosis, treatment, palliation and rehabilitation. The centre also caters to the population of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, the adjoining states of Thiruvananthapuram.
Southern Air Command
Southern Air Command, a wing of Indian Air Force, was instituted in 1984 in Thiruvananthapuram, with a vision to impart better protection to the peninsular India. The Command’s Area of Responsibility covers the southern states of India, the Bay of Bengal, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands near Sumatra, and Lakshadeep. Initially, the Command exercised control over 5 lodger units. Now, the Command has 17 lodger units under its jurisdiction. The Southern Air Command is headed by an Air Officer Commanding-in-chief who exercises controls over all Air Force units located in the Command.
Military Camp, Pangode
Thiruvananthapuram hosts a large Army Cantonment in Pangode where some regiments of the Indian Army are based. The well-designed camp is a cross-section of Indian army, representing different cultures and traditions. There are a Gurudwara, Mosque and Hanuman temple in the premises of the camp. A well-equipped military hospital is also there to cater to the needs of the soldiers.
Sree Chitra Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology (SCIMST)
An institute of national importance, Sree Chitra Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology is an autonomous institution under the administrative control of the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. SCIMST promotes the indigenous growth of biomedical technology, besides demonstrating high standards of patient care in medical specialties. The institute has also evolved post graduate courses in advanced medical specialties, biomedical engineering technology and public health. A well-equipped 239-bedded hospital for tertiary care for cardiovascular as well as neurological diseases is part of the institute.
Govt. Ayurveda Medical College
Govt. Ayurveda Medical College has contributed much in the spread of Ayurveda system of medicine in Thiruvanathapuram. It was founded in 1889 during the reign of Sree Moolam Thirunal under the name Kashayappura. Through years of development, the college has now become a doyen in the field of medical education in Kerala. The college is affiliated to University of Kerala.
Chitranjali Studio Complex
In Kerala, Chitranjali is almost synonymous with the art of film making. This state-of-art studio complex, under Kerala State Film Development Corporation, was established in 1980. Facilities are available for 39 processing and printing 35 mm and 16 mm colour and black and white films. Reduction and blowing up equipments are also available. Nagra recorders, latest technology to transfer sound from 16 mm to 35 mm, optical tone magnetic recorders, state-of-the-art video production facilities for non linear editing, six track DTS mixing facility etc. are special facilities of the complex.
Cottonhill Girls’ Higher Secondary School
Acclaimed to be the institution where the largest number of girl students study together in the world, Cottonhill Girls’ Higher Secondary School was founded in the year 1859, under the patronage of King Uthradom Thirunal, the then monarch of Travancore. At first, the school had functioned in the present day’s Sanskrit college building. The student strength of the school is about 6,000 and its role in creating educated female generations over the years can never be overlooked.